Prior to 1921, there was no Central Authority constituted in the State to advise Government and other Appointing Authorities in the matters of recruitment to the state civil services. Government and Appointing Authorities were making appointments in accordance with the principles laid down by Government from time to time. Through order No. 1827:80 E.A.G.308, dated:16-05-1921, the Government constituted for the first time a central agency for recruitments, named “Central Recruitment Board”. This Board was attached to the office of the Government Secretariat till 1940. Government appointed a Public Service Commissioner for the State in its Order No. 3685-3735-C.B. 103-39-1, dated: 19-01-1940.
The Public Service Commission was constituted under the provisions of the Constitution of India on 18-05-1951. In accordance with the provisions of clause 14 of the Public Service Commission Regulations 1950, the staff of the Public Service Commissioner as it stood on 18-05-1951, was continued as the nucleus of the staff of the Public Service Commission.
The Office of the Central Recruitment Board which was a part of Mysore (Now Karnataka) Government Secretariat followed the Government Secretariat Manual, for office procedures. This was continued even in the office of the Public Service Commissioner and later in the office of the Public Service Commission with necessary notifications to carry out recruitment and conduct of Competitive Examinations, Departmental Examinations etc.,
In accordance with clause-III of the Mysore Public Service Commission, Regulations 1950, His Highness was pleased to appoint Sri. H.B. Gundappa Gowda, as Chairman, Sri George Matthan, and Sri H.M. Mallikarjunappa, as Members of the Commission. The Chairman and Members assumed charge on the 19th, 23rd and 25th May 1951, respectively. Since then, 13 Chairmen and 67 Members have been appointed to the Commission by Government.
The Office of the Public Service Commission was located in the “United India” buildings, Bangalore City, till 20-05-1951. Since the accommodation fell short of the actual requirements of the Commission, its office was shifted to “Balabrooie”, on Palace Road, Bangalore, on 21st May 1951 and remained there upto 7th November 1956. Later it was shifted to the north wing of “ Atarakacheri” a portion of the High Court Building and continued there upto January 1968. Thereafter it was shifted to the present premises of “Park House” situated on the north west side of Vidhana Soudha.
The Commission celebrated its “Golden Jubilee” on 01-03-2002 and foundation stone was laid for the construction of a new building for the Commission. The building was inaugurated on 19-11-2005 and at present the office is functioning in the new building called "Udyoga Soudha".
Further as a mark of completion of 60 years of its service, the Commission celebrated its “Diamond Jubilee” on 18-05-2011. To Commemorate this celebration, foundation stone was laid for construction of one more new building known as “Vajra Mahotsava Soudha” in the premises of the office to cater the growing need and to serve the people in general and the candidates in particular more effectively.